Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Eat Your Kids Scraps - Just Make Them The Right Scraps

You hear a lot from parents of toddlers about how they put on a bunch of weight eating their kids leftovers. Parents, you know the drill, you give your kids chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, etc, they eat some of it (hopefully enough to fuel their little bodies), and then have scraps to throw out. Invariably, you eat the scraps rather than tossing them.

I was guilty of this.  It adds pounds to parents, for sure.

So I cut that out. It helped.

But I realized that I've been eating my son's scraps again. And it's not resulting in weight gain. Why? The issue wasn't the scraps. It's what the scraps were made of. You have to get to the root cause of the issue. If you are feeding your kids processed foods, eating those scraps will be other than good for you, to put it nicely. But why not realize that these foods aren't good for them, either?

Last night, I had peas, carrots and chicken from my son's plate. They were all tasty and totally good for me. More importantly, they were good for him.

So, yeah, cutting out scraps of not-great-for-you food is a good idea, but cutting the not-great-for-your-kids food in the first place is the best idea. Set the right example and provide the right things for their growing, little bodies. To start, enlighten.your.body,

No comments:

Post a Comment