Tuesday, July 30, 2013

#CUYOP

What the heck is #CUYOP? Why is there a hash tag on it? CUYOP stands for Commute Under Your Own Power.  I put a hash tag because I think we should be doing it and tweeting about it to get awareness and interest up.


I've started doing a mix of biking and running to work.  It's between 9 and 12 miles, depending on the route I take, and can actually be faster than doing my drive and train mixed commute. Is definitely faster than a pure driving commute given traffic, and I save on gas and parking.  I also get to take in gorgeous settings as I'm lucky enough to have a good chunk of the route along the Charles River. As much as I wanted to keep on running, I had to stop and take some photos this morning because it was just too amazing with the sun hitting the water and the way the skyline of the city came up (I was running on the Memorial Drive side, and these pics are from around the Hyatt, if you know the area).
I do it to get in a longer workout without having to wake up even earlier (I'm typically up no later than 4:30am).

I do it to fuel a great trend of teaching my son about living a healthy, active life. That's not what my childhood was like, and I feel like much of my adult life has been working to undo those habits and the impact of that lifestyle.  My son is 4, and regularly (and happily) makes really smart and healthy choices about food and being active.  He knows about charity and wants to be involved when I get involved.  He loves to run with me (we chase each other around the house, the basement, a soccer field, etc - laughing the whole time).  We talk at dinner about my running, and he's very interested and curious. He also knows about a friend of mine who is really fast, so he's always asking if I was faster than him or if I saw him run by me (@steinesq, now you know why your ears are ringing so much).

I do it to get more time to relax, reset, think (or sometimes not think), and take the world in.  For those of us chained to a desk so much of the day, it is crucial that we live out in the world if for only a few minutes a day. Every part of us will appreciate that more.

Can you CUYOP? Can you do it for even part of the commute?  Biking, running, walking, Nordic skiing, roller blading - it doesn't matter, it all counts.  You make a statement and investment in so many good things - your health, your fitness, your mind, the environment, your budget, how you role model to the next generation.  There are countless ways this can help you enlighten.your.body.

No comments:

Post a Comment