Saturday, June 1, 2013

Lessons for a First Time Racer - Part 3: Hydration

June 1st, 2013 was the first time I ever did a running race.  I've run hundreds of miles since starting in February of 2012, but I got injured before I could enter a race (had to scratch my first one due to a re-herniated disc), and a few injuries and surgeries since then have gotten in the way.  Today, I completed one of the Susan G. Komen 5Ks (the most popular 5K series in the country) as my first race.  It's not the longest I've run (as it would have been when I signed up for it last year), but it was a totally different experience than running recreationally, and tougher in a different way than any other run I've done, distance and speed aside.  I learned a few things (or was made aware of things I need to learn more about), and thought it would be valuable to share those things.

I've organized these learnings into sections that I will post as separate blog entries.  This is the third part on hydration.  Be sure to check out the post on shoe strategy and the other on pacing.

Hydration
Everyone has an opinion on how long of a run you'd need water for, and whether you need fuel (e.g. gels).  A coworker runner says very matter-of-fact that you don't need water for anything under 6 miles.  Another says he doesn't bother if it's less than 10. Another running friend doesn't run more than a mile at a time because he feels he really needs it at that point but refuses to carry water.

This is kind of the point. While there may be scientific answers to the perfect times to hydrate, the general rule of thumb is that if you wait until you're thirsty, it's too late. I find that I do better when I have water with me regardless of run length. I've tried going H2O-less on some short runs (e.g. when I only have time for a 15 minute run at work, and I'm doing a fast mile on the treadmill).  While I get through them, I find myself parched and uncomfortable.  I also personally feel that this impedes my performance.  I sweat a ton, so my body loses a lot of water quickly.  I ignore what people tell me, and I bring water, and I don't hold back drinking if I feel the desire or need.

Now, that said, I don't chug a ton of water.  I generally run with a small hand flask (I love the 22oz Nathan Sprint bottles, and have them with and without a little zippered compartment, which works really well for holding a car key, hotel room key or garage door opener), and take little shots or sips throughout my run, generally holding the water in my mouth for a bit to stave off that parched sensation without having to drink a lot to get there.  I usually finish a 3-4 mile run with half the flask available for the post run walk cool down.  For longer runs, I have a larger Nathan bottom that works well, but it is big, and you should be mindful of feeling too full and also of switching hands so you aren't weighted to one side the entire run.

I had people question why I had water for a 5K. I just said, "Because I do better with it." End of discussion. Some pointed out the water station at the 1 mile mark (that you can hit twice since the course was an out and back race). That water was cold - so nice and refreshing. And horrible for my stomach while running.  I don't drink cold water while running unless I want pain.  My water bottle had cool water (at least at the start, but it was warm by the end given the heat of the day), which went down easier.  The water stations provided some really nice cold showers to help bring my temperature back down and cool my core. If this was a marathon, that wouldn't work as well since I don't recommend carrying 2 gallons of your own water on such a long run, but for a 5K or 10K, this worked beautifully.

The Lesson
The lesson here is that you need to find out what works for you, is comfortable throughout your run (and afterward so you don't have a stomach ache from over-drinking or a headache from dehydration - or worse from either over- or under-hydration). No matter what you do, I don't recommend gulping huge quantities of water during a run.  Take small amounts periodically so your system isn't overloaded or feeling bloated (a friend ran a marathon doing this, and he said he felt like a big jug - very uncomfortable and slow race as a result). But don't limit the definition of training to putting miles in. It should include figuring out how your body needs to be hydrated (and fueled, how to dress, whether to use music, etc). Whatever works best for you is the right answer. Once you find that, don't deviate on race day because someone gives you other advice or a hard time.

These learnings, like most of my posts, are presented a bit free-form.  There's no explicit "do X to avoid Y" teaching so much as me sharing my thinking to help provoke thinking on your part.  After all, someone else telling you something will never allow you to develop as much as if you figure it out for yourself (albeit with a bit of guidance from a thought partner). That's how you enlighten.your.body.

No comments:

Post a Comment