Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Why a Minimal Runner Can Go Minimalist Faster

I've been reading a ton on running styles and shoes, and spoke to a friend who is both a runner and physical therapist about minimalist running. One thing keeps hitting me as totally against my experience - that you need a lot of time to adjust to minimalist running style (something other than heel striking, such as midfoot or, better yet and what I do, forefoot striking).

For me, the first time I ran in Vibrams, I was forefoot striking, and, while I was a bit achy in my calves for a few days, it wasn't this agonizing pain that people seem to be warning of. I would likely have had other muscle pain (and lots of joint pain) had I used a heel strike, the preferred form for most runners since most runners use traditional, raised-heel, cushioned shoes.

So how come I was able to jump right in and forego this adjustment phase? I think the answer is that I didn't really have anything to adjust from. I didn't run. Period. I didn't even really run down the block, save for darting after my son here or there for 20 feet. So I had no pre-existing notion to overcome on how to run, nor did I have any built-up muscle memory to unlearn.

These are both really powerful factors one needs to face when making the transition, and I think both are used as excuses by so many as to why minimalist style running (or barefoot running) "doesn't work" for them. The reason - they have existing barriers to entry, if you will.

It's like a business strategy case where you want to compete in a space where it's hard for others to come due to some barriers to entry (e.g. high regulatory costs like in pharmaceuticals, expensive equipment needed to get going like in aerospace or automobiles, limited resources like in mining, etc). For minimalism to break into the economy of your workout, it needs to overcome your comfort with what you already developed for running style both mentally and physically. That's a tall order. But it is doable.

While I don't want to be too preachy or forceful about it, I do think people need to approach it with an open mind and at least try before simply dismissing it as something that "can't work" because of XYZ that's specific to them. Just be sure if you do try that you really try. "Try" doesn't mean take off your shoes and run the way you always have (i.e., with a heel strike) and then stop and say it isn't for you. "Try" means running with a midfoot or forefoot strike, with your feet acting like a spring or really good set of shock absorbers. If you heel strike barefoot, you will definitely be worse off since not only is your skeleton taking some serious impact and translating it into your ankles and knees, but it's now not getting the benefit of the force disipation that the cushioning of your traiditional running had been providing.

Get minimal, get springy, give it a go, and see what you think. You just might love it.

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting post, Brian. I want to add a bit of caution, though. I think the message that you have to "ease" into minimalist running is primarily geared towards those who ARE already runners. If someone is accustomed to running, say, 20+ miles per week in "normal" running shoes and with a typical heel striking, over-reaching stride, it's not really as easy as "just trying" a minimalist shoe+stride. That person is battling months and maybe even years of conditioning, muscle memory, muscle imbalances, etc, not to mention likely weak feet. If they were to suddenly switch to running all 20+ MPW in Vibrams while trying to force what would feel like a very unnatural stride...well, it's a recipe for the various injuries I've seen some runner friends go through trying to make that switch.

    I think that's where the "go slow" message IS valuable--if you run 20-30 MPW normally, maybe you only do 3-5 of those miles minimal-style the first few weeks, then maybe up to 5-7 miles in another few weeks. I absolutely agree with the benefits that come with moving to a minimalist form of running (and it really is all about the form, in the end, not the specific shoes), but if your arches have spent the last 5 years being propped up and cushioned, and your calves have rarely been asked to work while contracted, and your hip flexors are shortened because you've always landed with your foot out in front, that's going to take some time to undo.

    I was able to make the switch to minimalist shoes pretty quickly, but that's because even in "traditional" running shoes, I already tended towards being a mid- to forefoot striker with a compact stride. I also think my history as a climber helped, because my feet are probably stronger than the average runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's exactly right. Sorry if I wasn't being clear enough. For me, the transition was rapid because, like you, I hadn't built up muscles for heel striking.

    My point is just for those who have and try minimalist (forefoot/midfoot striking) and swear it off due to the pain, don't make that decision so quickly. Try it a bit, ease into it, see if it works. BUT, you have to really do it. Don't just grab VIbrams and run on your heels and say it isn't for you (as I was responding to in a prior post - http://newbodi.blogspot.com/2012/07/q-i-cant-run-minimalistbarefoot-because.html)

    ReplyDelete