Monday, June 25, 2012

Q: What's the deal with your logo? Is that a dude doing a crunch?

Q: So, what's the deal with your logo?  Is that the handicapped logo?  A guy doing a crunch?  The AOL Instant Messenger guy?

A: HA!  Good question. The logo for newbodi.es is a symbol I've been using for a while, and actually came up with nearly 20 years ago. It's called a Perplexion Mark, and it's based on a question mark.  If you block out the triangular part, you'll see what I mean.  See, it's like a question that keeps going - thus it's perplexing.  It's all about curiosity and challenge, and I think that makes it really appropriate for newbodi.es.

I actually have it tattooed on my left shoulder - something I got done about 10 years ago, so long before newbodi.es was a glimmer in my eye.  It ultimately sums up a big piece of what drives me.  I want to know more and understand more about how things are and how they work.  I want to question and challenge more and not simply accept what I'm told or the status quo.  If we aren't curious, we don't push ourselves or the general knowledge of those around us. If we don't challenge people get lazy, rest on their laurels, and new and better ways of doing things are developed.

For newbodi.es, it was a natural choice for the logo because a) it is a symbol that is very personal to me, and newbodi.es is my creation, and b) newbodi.es is about challenging yourself and your situation so you can do and be better.

Now, I don't see the AOL IM guy, but I do sort of see the crunch, and that isn't so bad in this context.

No comments:

Post a Comment