Tuesday, May 1, 2012

No cheating on knowledge

Americans have become incredibly used to getting what we want when we want it, and typically with minimal effort expenditure. We seek quick fixes and quick answers. And we generally get them. From the speed with which you can find things out via the web to the hundreds of millions to billions spent on quick weight loss solutions, we can't stand to wait or work for what we want in far too many cases.

But in reality, the work is part of the answer in many of these situations - especially where the mind is involved. See, you need to struggle and think about things to fully understand, appreciate and be able to apply what you learn.

I say this because I am learning and growing immeasurably through reading. I never liked reading, and now find myself unable to stop. I read when commuting on the train and when running, and definitely wouldn't be doing this without my iPad. I'm devouring books on health, self-improvement, business turnarounds, and personal challenge and perseverance. I am applying this stuff every day. It is clearly a huge part of the transformation I have made and why it has stuck and will continue to stick.

The worst way to learn something it through rote memorization.  Getting 'quick fix' knowledge is the same thing.  You need to work your mind like any muscle - it needs to be stressed and strained to grow.  Muscles get torn a little when you lift, and then they repair and come back stronger.  The same for the mind.  You gotta work it.

So, pick up a book. Read. Exercise your mind so you can best exercise your body.  You'll absorb, understand and grow, and then you can get to a whole other level, and feel incredibly enriched and rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment